Segment 1


Weiss is a Holocaust survivor. First she was put into a ghetto in Mátészalka [Annotator's Note: in Hungary], then in concentration camps in Auschwitz, and Geislingen an der Steige, then Allach near Dachau. Her life was in danger every day. Weiss was born in Czechoslovakia. Weiss's parents had a farm and they lived on it. She is one of five girls. She also had a little brother. Life was good. Czechoslovakia was a democratic country. They lived like everyone else and everyone enjoyed their lives. Weiss never went to school because it was stopped when the Hungarians made a pact with the Germans. They were thrown out of school and were made to wear a yellow Star of David on their sleeves. Jewish businesses were closed up and the men were sent into work camps. A lot of bad things began to happen. Girls were afraid to go out because they were afraid of being raped; people were beat. Weiss was born in 1924 and she was about 13-14 years old when things started going badly for the Jews. Everyone was required to have citizenship papers. All of the Jews who did not have papers were sent to Auschwitz right away. Weiss had an aunt with 3 children. The Germans picked her up and took her to Poland and by practically a miracle, she returned with her 3 children. The children were in rough shape. Weiss's mother took them in and she was worried about food, but there was not much food left anyways. It was difficult to sustain, since Jews could not get jobs. They stayed with Weiss for about 3 weeks until the Hungarian police found out that they were hiding there. She was taken away and never seen from again. Before she left, the aunt told grim stories about the state of Poland. A lot of Jews were being sent to the camps. Weiss stayed home until 1944. Weiss's father was able to procure citizenship papers through his wealth in Budapest. He was able to prove to the Hungarians and the Germans that they were citizens. They let them stay until 1944, then the problems started. The Hungarians and the Germans came into their house and told them to pack their things and get out. It was the day after Passover. That was their last Passover ever as a family. Some of the soldiers informed them that they did not need to bring items from their home, because they were never going to come back again. They took them to another place, it was also like a big farm. All of the Jews who were staying at home in 1944 were there. They were told to fork over all of their money and gold. They gave them the last few dollars they had. There was 1 man who had been a dentist; he had a girl who was 2 and a half years old. He gave the child to a family that was not Jewish. Someone told the Nazis he had given away the child. The Nazis proceeded to beat him. Another neighbor had given another family money to watch their child. When the man came back he found out that they had poisoned the child. The man was so upset that he went crazy.


All oral histories featured on this site are available to license. The videos will be delivered via mail as Hi Definition video on DVD/DVDs or via file transfer. You will be purchasing the oral history in its entirety but will be free to use only specific clips. Please contact the Museum at if you are interested in licensing this content. Please allow up to two weeks for file delivery or delivery of the DVD to your postal address. See more information at