Segment 1


Boggs was in Washington D.C. on December 7th, 1941. There was a peace mission between the United States and Japanese at the time. She had a feeling that the Japanese had something up their sleeve. She was friendly with the Japanese ambassador and his wife. She also had a lot of Japanese friends in Louisiana. Boggs cannot explain it but she had a feeling that the peace negotiations were not on the level. On December 7th, Boggs had all of her kids wrapped up and bundled to battle the cold Washington D.C. winter. Boggs received a call from Paul Wooten who was the Times Picayune correspondent there. He told Boggs to turn on the radio because the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. She turned the radio on in her car and decided to drive down Embassy Row in Washington. She drove past the Japanese embassy and could tell that they were burning papers. Finally they got down to near the Capitol building. She would always go there and pick up her husband Hale [Annotator’s Note: American Democratic politician and member of the U.S. House of Representatives] One of Boggs' favorite things to do was to drive at night and see the Capitol Dome lit up. She got there just in time to see the lights go off. There was some doubt in her mind that they had attacked Pearl Harbor; however when she saw the Capitol Dome blacked out she knew it was for real. Hale Boggs was very amazed at the situation. He believed that Lindy was acting very cautious. It was a very sad day for Hale Boggs. In Congress there was a strict social schedule in terms of calling the Supreme Court, or calling the Cabinet or the House. However after Pearl Harbor, all of the protocol went out the window. Life in the nation’s capitol was very strict during the war. There was tremendous toning down of all social activities. The sessions in Congress were long and hard and went late into the night. Boggs notes how bad the rationing of shoes was. A lot of the news that she was privy to was classified.


All oral histories featured on this site are available to license. The videos will be delivered via mail as Hi Definition video on DVD/DVDs or via file transfer. You will be purchasing the oral history in its entirety but will be free to use only specific clips. Please contact the Museum at if you are interested in licensing this content. Please allow up to two weeks for file delivery or delivery of the DVD to your postal address. See more information at