Segment 4


Kleiss went to the ready room.The weather was very cloudy with just a few patches of open sky. A Japanese plane was seen flying over head. No one knew if they had been spotted.By 9:10 in the morning Wade McClucky had all of his planes in the air. They waited for the planes from the USS Yorktown [Annotator's note: CV-10]. The SBDs [Annotator's note: Douglas SBD Dauntless, naval dive bombers] in Kleiss' group were each armed with a 500 pound bomb and 2 100 pound incendiary bombs. The Scouting 6 SBDs each carried a 1000 pound bomb.They got a signal not to wait for the planes from the Yorktown. They had used up a lot of fuel circling the Yorktown so they had to get to the enemy ships fast.They got to where the ships were reported. Visibility was about 50 miles. There was nothing there. McClusky spotted a destroyer moving at flank speed. They followed it and found 3 big carriers and another that was about 20 miles away.Kleiss had Snowden turn on the YE-ZB so he knew the direction to get back to his carrier. Earl Gallaher was leading the group. McClusky was out in front. McClusky's main job was photographic.The planes went into left echelon. Kleiss was number 4. They started their dive from over 20000 feet. There were no Zeros [Annotato's note: Japanese fighter aircraft] up there to oppose them.McClusky and his 2 wingmen missed. Gallaher got a hit on either Kaga or Akagi [Annotato's note: Japanese aircraft carriers]. Gallaher's bomb hit a plane on deck and his 2 incendiaries hit next to it. The ship caught on fire.


All oral histories featured on this site are available to license. The videos will be delivered via mail as Hi Definition video on DVD/DVDs or via file transfer. You will be purchasing the oral history in its entirety but will be free to use only specific clips. Please contact the Museum at if you are interested in licensing this content. Please allow up to two weeks for file delivery or delivery of the DVD to your postal address. See more information at