Segment 8


Holloman discusses racial terminology. He did not feel that he was being held to a higher standard. He felt that he was judged on his skill.In World War II Holloman's group was not referred to as the Tuskegee Airmen. It wasn't until they started having reunions in 1972 that they started calling themselves the Tuskegee Airmen. In Vietnam, Holloman was in charge of a company of Chinooks [Annotator's Note: Boeing CH-47 "Chinook" dual rotor helicopter], four companies of Hueys [Annotator's Note: Bell Aircraft UH-1 "Iroquois" helicopter, commonly referred to as the Huey], a company of Mohawks [Annotator's Note: Grumman OV-1 "Mohawk" fixed wing aircraft], and a company of other fixed wing aircraft.He retired from the service on 1 October 1972 with 29 years, 7 months, and 15 days of service.Holloman’s desire to fly kept him in the service. He tried in 1947 to get a job as a commercial pilot. He tried again in 1953 and was again turned down. Holloman was disappointed with the army in 1957 because he felt that the army was still racist. He left the army and got a job as a crop duster after which he took a job in Canada. His time in Canada changed his life. There he experienced no racial problems. From 1957 until he returned to the US in 1975, Holloman didn't live in this country. He had 18 years free of racism.He ended up in Seattle. He felt that it was the most open area of the country.He was surprised to learn that the Germans knew more about the blacks that participated in World War II than people in the States did.At the University of Washington, Holloman worked as a guest lecturer. When he went before the committee he was terminated. He didn't know about blacks in the military until he started studying it in 1975. He started out as an Art History major then he specialized in Military History and has been doing it ever since.


All oral histories featured on this site are available to license. The videos will be delivered via mail as Hi Definition video on DVD/DVDs or via file transfer. You will be purchasing the oral history in its entirety but will be free to use only specific clips. Please contact the Museum at if you are interested in licensing this content. Please allow up to two weeks for file delivery or delivery of the DVD to your postal address. See more information at