24th General Hospital buildings in the Mediterranean theater during World War II
Gift in Memory of Dr. Thomas Edward Weiss, from the collection of the National World War II Museum
Tile-roofed buildings part of 2th General Hospital compound. "Scene down one of streets of our hospital. Buildings on left and right are wards, in background are quarters." 24th General Hospital, Location unknown, probably North Africa or Italy. 1943-44
Theater of Service:
POW / KIA:
Items from the service of Dr. Thomas Weiss who served with the 24th General Hospital in North Africa and Italy. Almost all members of this hospital, including Weiss, were graduates of or medical staff at Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana. They operated from Fort Benning until August 1943 when they embarked for North Africa where they opened a hospital in Bizerte, Tunisia. There they cared for the wounded during the early phases of the invasion of Italy. They eventually moved to Italy where they cared for casualties of the Fifth Army. The men of this hospital famously held a Mardi Gras celebration in Italy on 13 February, 1945.
Add to Collection